Friday, November 4, 2016

"How would you feel about fostering a teenage mother?"

My first home study is officially in the books. I was so nervous before hand. Turns out it was all for nothing. My licensing worker didn't care how clean my house was, she wasn't intimidating, she didn't ask to go through the drawers in my house. She did however pose a very poignant question "How would you feel about fostering a teenage mother? We have a very hard time placing teen moms because a lot of people will take a baby or a teenager but most don't want both, and the baby usually isn't in foster care so it can be a very tricky situation to navigate at times." I have no clue how to parent a teenager. I have no clue if I would be good at it. I do know that helping to end bad life cycles is exactly why I went into foster care. I have seen good people be bad parents because they repeat the choices and lifestyles of their parents. I have seen young girls not understand what being a caring and nurturing mother entails because their mother didn't model any of those behaviors. So I'm considering it. I plan on speaking to a few different foster parents who have made this decision to get advice and a realistic picture of what it entails. I do think it will be completely worth it if it is something I have the competence to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment